En vedette

mardi 22 juin 2010

Festival of the Blues – June 2010

Le présent article a été rédigé par Jonathan Goldberg, que je remercie.


The despondency of French football fans, not to say the whole French nation, recalls the lyrics of the song Stormy Blues:

I’ve been down so long
That down don’t worry me.
I just sit and wonder
Where my man can be.
Every time I come here
Everything happens to me.


Billie Holiday, who made this song famous, was not referring to Nicolas Anelka when she wondered where her man could be, but the words of her song must reflect the thoughts going through the minds of the French soccer squad.


Frank Sinatra picks up the theme in Learning the Blues, with a prediction for the French players:

When you're at home alone,
The blues will taunt you constantly.
When you're out in a crowd,
The blues will haunt your memory.

The nights when you don't sleep, the whole night you're crying.
----------------
When you feel your heart break, you're learnin' the blues.

 
As for the dismissed French captain, he could be singing Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVKKRzemX_w&feature=related

The rest of the world is probably just looking on and thinking that the state of French soccer is a shame. As Fats Domino sang: Ain’t That a Shame as the French team returned home.

You made me cry when you said goodbye
Ain't that a shame?
My tears fell like rain
Ain't that a shame?
You're the one to blame


What has happened to the French players’ dream? The words of Dream On may reflect the desire of the French captain, Patrice Evra, to be philosophical and put the 2010 Mondiale behind him:

Every time that I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got their dues in life to pay
------------------------------
I know it's everybody's sin
You got to lose to know how to win

The incoming coach, Laurent Blanc, will be singing the words of Land of Hopes and Dreams:

I will provide for you
And I'll stand by your side
You'll need a good companion for
This part of the ride
Leave behind your sorrows
Let this day be the last
Tomorrow there'll be sunshine
And all this darkness past


                                                                             Jonathan Goldberg

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire